The sight of these classy chocolate roses got me into a serious mood to make roses, paperwise that is. And I ended up making 3 different kinds cos’ they look so beautiful that I couldn’t wait to learn to make them all!
1. Kawasaki rose
There were several steps I had no idea what to do, so after some struggling and hair-pulling, I finally figured out what was going on EXACTLY!
1. Begin with the left flap (indicated *). Take note of the diamond square (marked by the 4 dots) in the middle.
2. Pinch the fold, bring point 1 down to point 2.
3. Repeat step 2 on all three sides and keep in view of that middle diamond. The paper will be in an awkward stage but persevere on!
4. This is how awkward it’ll be.
5. Slide a finger along each of folded strip (from step 3), moving gently in an anti-clockwise manner, tending towards the centre. You will have to use your finger to pop up/help the diamond take shape along the way. The diamond should eventually twist (anti-clockwise) and then flattened (provided the paper is thin) in place, if not just press it down.
6. Done. [close-up]
7. Turn over.
8. Start at the top (*). Identify and mark all creases. G and H are for step 12 and 14 respectively. Open up the flap.
9. Identify D and use a finger to push it up.
10. C and A should be perpendicular to each other and a depth between C and B is formed.
11. Repeat steps 8-10 on the other 3 sides so as to end up with this.
12. Identify E and F. F is half of crease A.
13. Pinch E as shown.
14. Then lift F to align with H (made in step 8).
2. Bird base rose
3. Fold down top flap to the front.
3. Fold down the next standing flap to the back.
4. This is now ready for the next step.
3. Standard rose
Followed this demo to make this rose bud.
Both centre creases must be well-creased mountain folds, so that the folding up of each quarter will be easier.
The real beauty of all these three roses is they are not too complicated to make once every step is laid out clearly and every intended fold well-creased. And as with every origami pattern, you can’t help but marvel at the ingenuity of their creators.